Thursday, May 30, 2013

Illness in North Africa, By Tracey Vale



I became very ill during the trip through North Africa—a stomach bug that commonly afflicted tourists through these provinces. Unfortunately, I suffered with a severe case of it, making the remainder of the tour extremely difficult although, thankfully, we were near the end. As there were no other doctors or medical facilities available to me, I had to join the sick line with the soldiers. The only thing they could give me, however, and in the mistaken belief that it was a ‘cure-all’, was a penicillin injection, administered with a frighteningly thick needle.

Suffice to say, this had no effect and my condition continued to worsen. Amazingly, I was able to get through the stage shows without incident. I could hear my mother’s voice in my head saying “The show must go on,” and could almost feel her hand on my shoulder blades as she gently pushed me toward the stage. I recalled suffering through that excruciating earache as a child, but still managing to please her as I smiled my way through the performance.

Thinking back, I don’t know how I managed to get through the remainder of the tour and yet still perform every night. It was terrible. As soon as my segment was over I’d discreetly run off the stage. The mind, I think, is a very powerful thing. It’s as if my bowel would say ‘Look, we can’t do anything right now—she’s on stage!’

The day before we were to leave for our next tour stop, a long bus trip on the edge of the desert, the military doctor prescribed a sleeping tablet. With the intention of getting a good, solid and restful night’s sleep before we were due to leave, I took the proffered tablet and had almost nodded off when Alistair appeared beside the bed. He said “I’ve got a tablet that will make you feel better.” He handed me a glass of water with the tablet and waited for me to pass the glass back. I thanked him and, before long, I was in a deep slumber.

“We’re here. Can you wake up or do you want us to carry you again?” It was Paul’s voice. I opened my eyes to see him smiling down at me. Moving my head and awkwardly getting one arm out from under me, I saw that I was lying across a narrow bus seat. As it had transpired, Alistair had given me another sleeping pill without knowing that I’d already taken one. The following morning, Alistair and Paul had bundled me onto the bus and I’d slept on—a total of 12 hours, plus I’d managed to wipe out the entire desert trip.

I was so thin when I got back to England and had to locate a toilet everywhere I went. I was admitted to hospital after seeing my doctor and spent six weeks there. After a number of tests and a trial of medicines, they couldn’t find out what I’d contracted and there was still no improvement. It had infected my large bowel and they said the bowel was ulcerated, hence the pain. After about a month in hospital, the doctor announced “We’re going to have to do a colostomy. The bowel isn’t healing and this is the only way.” He went on to explain that he had scheduled the operation for the following morning.

Later that day, Dad visited and I told him that I was to have an operation and asked if he knew what a colostomy involved. He didn’t, but said he’d find the doctor and ask. The doctor told him that my bowel would be shut off permanently and I would have a bag to collect the bile.

Once told, he said “No! You’re not doing that operation on my daughter.” The doctor explained that I wasn’t responding and the bowel wasn’t healing.

“No,” dad said again. “My daughter’s going to get better without having a bag hanging from her side.”

The doctor sighed and said, “Well, we’ll move her from the surgical ward then. I’m going on holidays tomorrow. We’ll put her into another ward.”

It turned out that this was the best thing he could have done. In his place, I had a marvelous Indian doctor who looked at alternative remedies. In the end, it was a simple solution—a change of diet and a medicine that would stay in my system while it healed. Before long, I had my strength back and was able to step out into a cold, Autumn afternoon, feeling eternally grateful and with a huge sense of freedom after what had seemed like an incarceration.

The illness would continue to dog me throughout my life but I was never again grounded by it as long as I stuck to the Indian doctor’s guidelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment